Reagents and material
- Vial of mycoplasma transport medium (3 mL)
- Quantity: 25
- Vial of lyophilized growth medium (+3 mL UMMt)
- Quantity: 25
- MYCOFAST® EvolutioN 3 trays:
- Tray of 20-well wrapped individually in an aluminum sachet
- Quantity: 25
- Mycoplama hominis growth activator (4.5 mL)
- Quantity: 2
Stability and storage
- All the reagents are ready-to-use. The vials may be stored at 2-8 °C, in their original packaging until the expiry date shown on the kit.
- The UMMt medium may be stored temporarily at room temperature but is more stable at 2-8 °C.
1 – Detection, identification and enumeration
- A comparative study with reference strains and clinical strains was carried out between the A7 Agar solid medium method and the MYCOFAST® EvolutioN 3 liquid medium method. The U. urealyticum (n=29) and M. hominis (n=44) strains were tested separately or as a mixture at different dilutions from 103 to >106 CFU/mL on A7 Agar.
- For enumeration the overall concordance between the two methods is 88.4% (97.8% for a concordance to within one dilution).
- For identification the overall concordance is 97% for the Identibiotique. The very high concentrations
(>106 CFU/mL) of U. urealyticum were capable of causing a color change in well 6 (E).
2 – Antimicrobial susceptibility testing
- A comparative study was carried out between the method to determine the minimal inhibitory concentrations (MIC) in a liquid medium and the MYCOFAST® Evolution 3 method. The strains tested were reference strains, clinical wild-type strains, or strains having acquired resistance. Each strain was tested at dilutions of 103, 104 and 105 CCU/mL. The results of the two methods were interpreted as being Sensitive (S), Intermediate (I) or Resistant (R), according to the recommendations of the “Comité de l’Antibiogramme de la Société Française de Microbiologie” (CA-SFM), and are represented in the table below.
Ureaplasma urealyticum (n = 30)
Results of 6 wild-type strains, 3 strains resistant to tetracyclines and 2 strains resistant to fluoroquinolones:
Mycoplasma hominis (n=30)
Results of 6 wild-type strains, 2 strains resistant to tetracyclines, 2 strains resistant to josamycin and 3 strains resistant to fluoroquinolones:
The overall concordance for U. urealyticum is 81.4% (171/210). There are no very major discordances.
* Note: For ofloxacin, the majority of sensitive strains tested exhibited an MIC of 1 μg/mL; equal to the lower critical concentration.
The overall concordance for M. hominis is 94.3% (198/210). There are no very major discordances.
md: minor discordance, MD: major discordance
Material required but not provided
- Sample collecting material (Swabs, cytobrushes, sterile containers for liquid samples)
- Pipettes and tips
- Waste container for contaminated waste
- Paraffin oil
- Incubator at 37 ± 1 °C